It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Single

So...I thought that I had been single my whole life. I've never been married, that's for sure. Now all of a sudden I'm "single" or I'm "a single" and I get put in some special category that's different from the rest of the world. It's like there's the innocent little children that don't even know what single means, and then there's the knowledgeable adults that don't need to know what single means. But me? I'm single. I'm in the phase where I go to my ward and talk to people "my age" that could be 18 or 24 and I have no clue. Well...some you can kind of tell, but for the most part everyone is pretty much the same. You can usually tell the R.M.'s from the tweens (that'd be...between high school and a mission. heheh...) but the women, you really have no idea. Probably because all of the women are just as mature as any 24 year old.

The funny thing is, being single is not desirable to these people. Once you're out of high school (or home from a mission for guys) you haven't accomplished anything until you've been married. And it's almost humiliating to be anywhere past 24 or 25 without having been married.

Why is this? What's so urgent about this time of our lives that they put us in a group together and say "Okay now, just hitch up with one of these fine young women (or men) and live happily ever after. Quickly now, it's not like we have eternity."

But...don't we? They say that those who don't have the opportunity to be married in this life will have a chance in the next. So what's the big rush? And...is there really such thing as meant to be? These questions have just been running through my head since I started going to the singles ward...

I don't really know the answer to either of those questions.

Maybe because this is the time when most people usually get married, they push for it to happen now so we don't end up like Aunt Imogin, the crazy old maid that's waiting for her "prince" to come... I really don't know. And it's not like I'm prejudice against the system or anything. I still have a mission ahead of me, and won't be looking to get married at all for 3 years at the least. These were just some thoughts running through my head.

About the other question...meant to be...

There was a general authority that said that a marriage between any man and any women could be made to work. That being said, some combinations would probably work better than others. Does that totally blow my question out of the water? Maybe that just settles it right there. How could two people really be meant for each other if they could really have a good marriage with anyone?

Je ne sais pas...

And it's not like I really need to know. I tend to make a habit out of blogging about topics that are either impossible to come to a conclusion, or just a little ahead of my time. (Go go go Joseph...)

Well, in 3 years maybe I'll be on again wondering these things again.

Until then, have a nice day!

-Moscas

4 comments:

  1. Um...I'm not sure I do. What do they say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. No one will ever tell me. ;) :P Do YOU know, Matt?
    Love, Me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's a thing as "Meant to be". If my parents weren't meant to be, they'd never have gotten together. Haha.

    But really, I think that families knew their members before earth. But... Choices can affect those families. So maybe other people can fill the roll?

    I dunno. I don't pretend to have mounds of wisdom... Haha. That's just my opinion I suppose.

    ReplyDelete