It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Poetry. I think...

So, I really like poetry. I used to write it, but I've never really written a lot of poetry...not unless I was assigned in an english class or something. In which case, I did okay I guess.

My favorite kind of poetry is the kind that someone else wrote. That someone else being a friend, or relative, or...Shel Silverstein. Okay, I read poetry other than his...but his just makes me smile. :) Like that, see?

Anyway, I was reading his book "Falling Up" and thought that I would put up some of my favorites.

The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong.
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you - Just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.

That was one that I don't think I had ever heard before today, but it's a wonderful poem. It's...serious, and profound. I haven't read a lot of Silverstein like that. :) I like it.

Writer Wating

Oh this shiny new computer-
There just isn't nothin' cuter.
It knows everything the world ever knew.
And with this great computer
I don't need no writin' tutor,
'Cause there ain't a single thing that it can't do.
It can sort and it can spell,
It can punctuate as well.
It can find and file and underline and type.
It can edit and select,
It can copy and correct,
So I'll have a whole book written by tonight
(Just as soon as it can think of
what to write).

Yay for writer's block! That's me. All the way. Well, almost. I'd get an assignment to write an essay during english or some other class, and I'd be all excited about it, and then go to write, and nothing would come. So I would usually spend the last 5 or 10 minutes of class just...getting down as much as I possibly could, regardless of whether or not it actually fit with the paper...

Then there's now. I come to post on this blog because I want to write about something, and then I get here, and either I've forgotten what it was I wanted to write, or I just can't find the right words...

There are times when it works. I've had some...pretty okay posts I think. Some that actually made sense at least. :-/

Here's another one. This one is just...well, read it for yourself. ;)

Gardener

We gave you a chance
To water the plants.
We didn't mean that way--
Now zip up your pants.

That's more like Silverstein. :)


So, there's my poetry for the day. And now that you've seen how deep and profound a person I am...I'm gonna go water the plants. Kidding, kidding. I watered them this morning, and I used a hose and a sprinkler. There's this patch of brown grass in my lawn that won't grow, now matter what I do. Maybe it just needs a little love. Hmm. I might have to go read it a story or something... Sing it a song maybe? Hmm...

Goodbye for now, I'll be out singing to some dead grass.

Have a nice day.

-Joscas

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :)
    I actually REALLY like the first poem, I remmber reading Silverstein in elementary school...hmmm... :)
    Course, I like poems, too. :) Keep at it, eh?
    Love, Me.

    ReplyDelete