It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Monday, October 22, 2012

Quinta Bosch...

So. This week was pretty bomb diggity. Even though it wasn't the best as far as numbers go. After conference, I got the song "Have I done any good in the World today?" Stuck in my head, and have been singing it a lot, and thinking about how I can help someone each and every day. It's been going well. I really really admire President Monson and all of the stories he tells about helping someone or going to give a blessing. I really want to get to the point that Heavenly Father can answer the prayers of others through a spiritual prompting I receive and follow. It's just an amazing feeling to know you've helped someone along in their way. :) Makes me happy. And I guess that's what missionary work is all about. We're here to help and serve and do everything we can to make the lives of others better. 

So, I've just been working on forgetting myself and thinking about others. It's not easy. We as human beings and natural men and women have the tendancy to think about our own personal needs before we think about the needs of others. It's kind of against our nature to give food or money or time and attention to others when those are the things that we ourselves are lacking. In Luke 18 starting in verse 18, there's a man that asks Jesus what he needs to do to get into the Kingdom of God. Jesus says that he needs to keep the commandments. To which the man responds, "All these things have I kept from my youth up." Then Jesus says, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven." The scriptures say that if we have not charity, we are nothing. Wouldn't charity be simply forgetting ourselves and thinking only about others? That's what Christ did. 

I know, I'm probably preaching to the choir, but these are some things that have just been on my mind. I'm gonna try my best this week to just forget myself. Think only about others. My companion, my investigators, the leaders and members of the church, etc. I didn't come so far just for me. I came this far because the Lord knows there are people here who need me. Me. My help. And if I'm thinkin about me all the time, then I'm never going to find them. ...haha...so maybe I'm the one who needs all this. Sorry for the vent. Just thinking out loud a little.

Our investigators are going well. Well...one of them, at least. Jorge is still on track to be baptized on the 3rd of November. Ramon kind of bailed on us. We taught a powerful lesson about why baptism is important and why he shouldn't wait and how it can bless his life...and then he told us that even still...he wants more time to think about it. We haven't been able to talk to him much, because he's studying at the University now. I know he has at least a spark of a testimony, but I'm not sure how to help him realize that, and then turn that spark into something bigger. 

Jorge's mom is a member. Right now after we leave here, we're going to a family night with them. He's got 4 or 5 siblings, and one sister even came to church with them this week. We're hoping we can get them all to come. 

We're also still with our goal to find lots of JAS, but we've added another goal to find priesthood in general. The ward is kind of just lacking as ar as faithful priesthood leaders go. But luckily we've got an amazing bishop and at least a few brethren who are willing to help us out. 

So. That's my week in a nutshell. Hope everyone's doing great and loving life and working and studying hard. Read your scriptures, say your prayers, and go to church. Above all, forget about yourself, and help someone else! "There are chances for work all around just now. Opportunities right in our way. Do not let them pass by, saying "sometime I'll try," but go and do something today."

Love y'all. 

-Elder Joey

P.S. Take some jelly, take some fish. Look at that sandwich, delish.

P.P.S. Sorry I STILL don't have pictures. I promise I'll get them to you next week, if I have to send them by carrier pidgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment