It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Monday, April 2, 2012

And then let's pretend I wrote an email and you guys all read it.

So...I'm still here in Tunja. I'll be here for another 7 weeks, if my calculations are correct.

Life here is great. When it's not freezing cold, there's sunshine that burns 4 layers of skin simultaneously. It's great. Haha. Actually I do really love it. The sun, not so much, because it really does burn. I put sunscreen on every day to keep from frying. But the cold I love. My companion always wants to go out in a suit or a coat, and I want to go out in a short sleeve shirt. We switch off. ;)

This Saturday was General Conference!!!! In case you didn't know. I loved it so much. There were so many amazing things that were said, that spoke to me personally. Amazing how it always works that way, eh? ;) And sorry mom, but Elder Bednar spoke in the Priesthood session. :-/ You can read his talk when the Ensign comes out...

After the Saturday afternoon session and before the Priesthood session, we had a baptismal service. Diana Rojas was baptized. Yay! My companion baptized her, because her boyfriend was in Neyva. Or Neiva. I don't know how to spell it. But she was baptized, and everything went super well. We even had gas to heat the water this time, so no one got hypothermia. ;) Heheh... 

This week is Semana Santa. Holy Week. It's the last week of Christ's birth. Everyone has told us that it's one of the hardest weeks of mission service here in Colombia. And even more in Tunja, which is in the top three most catholic cities in Colombia. Heh. We'll have to see how it goes. :P We've had a few members invite us over for breakfast or dinner this week, so we won't feel too abandoned. Heh. But it'll be a fun week. I'm excited to see how Semana Santa is here. 

I'm about out of time, but y'all have to write or email me and tell me what your favorite conference talk was. Mine were Elder Holland's and Elder Cook's. We have an investigator, Diego, who has a very scientific brain. We visited with him a couple times this week, and he explained to us how he had proved with science that God exists. I guess that's progress...but he's bent on not becoming "a Mormon" because his parents hate our church and might disown him and stop paying for his schooling if he joins the church. He's a very intellectual person, and very eloquent. He can talk circles around me. I think he just needs to soften his heart a bit...(see D&C 109:56 and 124:9).

This week we also began teaching Liliana and Didier (Dad, that name is french, isn't it?). They're really receptive, and we taught them about the Book of Mormon and invited them to read it and pray about it. I'm praying that they will. Because really there are only 3 ways to get a testimony of the book of mormon. Reading it, praying about it, and going to church to learn about it. It doesn't come by asking your pastor about it. It doesn't come looking up things on the internet. It definitely doesn't come just not doing anything. If you have the faith that God will give you a testimony, that faith has to have some kind of action. Without it, that testimony will never come.

Thanks family and friends, for everything. Thank you for your prayers, your words, your letters and emails, your love and support. I love you all. 

Love,
Elder Cannon

P.S. I have a machete. Right here.

P.S. Elder Ochoa flies to the US on the 17th of April. He has a letter for the fam that I sent with him, and he says he's going to deliver it by hand that week. You'll have to let me know if he comes over. :)



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment