It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Monday, April 16, 2012

19 years, 364 days.

Actually, it's 19 years, 365 days, because it's a leap year...

Anyway...How's it going?

It's absolutely amazing how fast time flies. I probably say something like that every week, don't I? It's just so true. Time just flies here on the mission. Although, I have some good friends now that have gone home after their missions, and they say that the time afterward passses even faster. Crazy. But life's good. We're working hard, and we've seen some amazing sucesses and blessings this week. I always think about the missionary in The Best 2 Years that's about to get on the train to go home, and he tells Elder Calhoun, "It passes by so fast. Just don't let one moment pass you by." It's true. I pray every day that I will be able to make the most of every moment of every day. It's hard sometimes, when we're tired or a little disappointed for one reason or another, but we keep working, and trying to find, teach, and baptize. Because as misssionaries, that's what we do.

This week we got a phone call from Diego. I don't know if I told y'all about Diego. He is a die-hard science nerd, student of medicine, and the first time we met with him he explained to us how he had proved with science the fact that God lives. But he also told us how he couldn't be "Mormon" because of one reason or another. Anyway, my companion and I saw a lot of potential in him, despite his concerns and excuses. When he called me on the phone, he said "I want a Book of Mormon. I think it can be a pillar in my life. Like the Bible." Aaaaaah! :D :D :D Ahem. So, we set an appointment and went to meet with him and his girlfriend. Luckily, we had 2 Books of Mormon (hehe...'nother Best 2 Years reference...), and gave them each a copy to read and pray about. Yesterday, they were both at church, and we set another appointment for this Wednesday. We're hoping and praying that they will continue to progress and accept a baptismal date. I think that Diego's biggest concern is his parents. They hate the Mormons and would literally disown Diego if they found out he had joined the church. For now, he's studying medicine, and depends on his parents for money, housing, etc. But as it says in Preach My Gospel, almost 100% of the doubts that investigators have come back to whether or not they have a testimony of Joseph Smith and the Restored Gospel. Because if they know that, their doubts and concerns won't matter. So we're praying really hard that they'll read and pray and get an answer that these things are true. If the do those things, it's not much of a question as to whether or not they'll get an answer. That's something that Heavenly Father has promised to all of His children (see Moroni 10:3-5), and when He promises us something, He fulfills His promises (see D&C 82:10).

We've been working with Pilar as well, but when we taught her about the Law of Chastity, she told us that she's living with her boyfriend, and that they didn't have any plans to separate or get married... We're praying to figure out what to do about that. I know that she wants to be baptized, because she told us so. But things like this always make the decision harder. People here in Colombia, and probably around the world, do things backwards nowadays. They think that living together for a few years (sometimes more than a few) is key to knowing whether or not marriage will work between you. It kind of makes me sad. I always have a Family: A Proclamation to the World handy to give out or read with investigators. Hopefully Pilar will have the courage to either break it off with her boyfriend, or at least start living in a different apartment, or to get married.

Things are pretty much back to normal around here. All settled down after Semana Santa. We have 2 new Zone Leaders, and new Elder in our District from El Salvador. He's like 6' 5". Gigante! And apparently he's a professional futbol player. haha. He'll probably squash us all when we play as a zone. Fun stuff.

I can't believe that I'm turning 20 tomorrow. It seems like just yesterday I turned 18, let alont 19. I think I must have skipped a few months in there somewhere. Hehe. This morning, I told my companion that I was going to go to neverland and stay young forever. Haha. We'll see how that plan works out. If I'm not wrong, it's the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning, right?

Anyway, thanks for all the birthday wishes. I also have to wish my awesome, buff, super-smart little brother Jorge a happy birthday too. Happy Birthday! I love you, lil bro! :)

I hope everything is wonderful in Utah. We've entered "winter" here, and it basically just rains every day. There's either rain, or lots of rain. "Are those the only choices?" Yes. Yes, they are.

Love y'all. Take luck, don't do drugs, stay in school, and remember to drink your ovaltine.

Love,
Elder Cannon

P.S. Superman wears Chuck Norris underpants.

P.P.S. I've been to the dentist 1,000 times so I know the drill...



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment