It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Monday, August 1, 2011

Guess who's in Colombia?

This guy. Uh...Elder. This Elder. 

And he's typing on a Colombia keyboard, so I hope any of this makes sense...and shows up the same on a gringo computer. ;)

Colombia is absolutely amazing. Today we had our P day because there were cambios. ...transfers? I think that's what they're called. Normally they'll be on Wednesdays. Today we went to the mercado, and to el banco, and...there's just so much to tell, too many distractions, and not enough time. I'll do my best. 

I got to Colombia at around 10 pm Thursday night, and the President and the assistants picked us up from the airport. We slept at the mission home that night, and in the morning, we had our last real meal, and went in for interviews. That's when I got the assignment to be companions with Elder Rapalino, from Colombia, and we would be serving in Bucaramanga, Colombia. Elder Rapalino doesn't speak much English at all, so that's fun. Heh. Sometimes my brain just kind of hurts from all the spanish, but from what people tell me, my spanish isn't too bad. I just look gringo, but I don't sound gringo. That's a blessing. My only real problem is the understanding. People talk so fast, and if they say a word or two that I don't know, I'm already lost. It'll come eventually. I have only been here a few days. 

We live on the 12th floor of an apartment building, and have a pretty good view from our balcony. I'll hopefully be able to send some pictures. We'll have to see. We've taught several lessons already, and challenged a man to be baptized. My companion called him an eternal investigator, because he'd been taking lessons, and going to church with his member wife for over a year, but would never accept the invitation to be baptized. So we went and taught them a lesson about temples and eternal marriage, and he accepted an invitation to be baptized! Super exciting. :) He's getting baptized on the 13th, if all goes well. 

Contacting is probably the hardest thing for me thus far. Just walking up to a person and talking to them about the gospel is just a little awkward still. It'll probably always be awkward, but I'll get used to it. Or just not be a successful missionary. Hehe. "Are those the only choices?" Anyway, we usually knock a few doors every day, and contact people as we walk between appointments.

One of the best parts of the work is (pause for effect) los almuerzos. Every day we go to a member's home for lunch, and oh my goodness are they delish. Always rice, usually beans, but then there's the carne or pollo, and other things that I can't remember what they're called, but that are equally delish... Mmm mm mmm. Yummy. Today being P day, we had to make our own, so it wasn0t as delicious, but they sell ramen here, so it wasn't bad. ;) hehe. 

It's kind of weird to me that I'm in Colombia. I mean...I'm on a mission. Miles and miles from home. With a person I've never met in my life, that doesn't speak my language. It's a good thing I've prepared for this since I was like...zero. I feel the spirit every day, and it confirms to me that this work really is true. That Heavenly Father really does want me here, inviting His children to come unto Him. This gospel is true. It really is. And i'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to preach and teach it to the people of Colombia. 

If you want anything to get to me in less that 3 or 4 weeks, it would probably have to be through email. Unless you want to send someone down on a plane to deliver it to me by hand. That'd only take a few days. And...it might cost a touch more.

I love you all, and I'm so grateful to have such wonderful friends and family. Onward, ever onward! :)

Adios,

Elder Cannon (yes, everyone, that's like the marca de camera, pero tiene 2 n's.)



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment