It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hi there.

I never know how to title these things. I'd give them week numbers or something, but I try to stay away from any kind of counting. It just feels trunky. Is that how you spell that? Apparently it's a word in Spanish. I don´'t know if it's just among the missionaries or what, but I hear it pretty often.
 
Well anyway, This week was pretty much really really good. We had a baptismal service on Saturday that was really neat. This investigator, Saúl, has been coming to church faithfully with his member wife for almost a year, and he finally took the step to be baptized. Super-happy. That's a Colombian thing, btw. Super-this, super-that. You hear it a lot. Anyway, we also had an investigator, Julian (hehe...jelly. fish.) come to the baptism, and he came to church on Sunday. He's been really interested in everything we've taught him so far, so I hope he prays and gets an answer. That's the biggest struggle I've seen here. People just don't read and pray. It's such a little thing, but everything hinges on that one prayer. That one prayer that will open the heavens, and show them the way. I wish they'd just do it! Haha. Just pray! It'll take like, 30 seconds, and you're life will be infinitely and eternally better, I promise. :)
 
For the most part, people are really nice. Really kind, and willing to let us into their homes. There are definetly some exceptions...catholicism does exist here. Heh. But for the most part, people are super nice. I'm not trying to say that catholics aren't nice. Not at all. It's just that the ones that have been super rejective (is that a word?) were almost without fail catholic.
 
These past 2 weeks or so I've had the opportunity to give quite a few priesthood blessings. I just think it's funny that I've had the priesthood for over a year now, and the first blessings I give are in a foreign country and a foreign language. :P But even though I may struggle for words, I can always feel the Spirit, and the power of God working in me. The priesthood is a powerful tool, and a great blessing. I hope I can always live worthy to exercise it.
 
So, this Sunday, I got to play the piano in Sacrament meeting, which was really neat. I love playing the piano, especially for church meetings. It was a bit of a crazy Sunday though, because I had the privilege (I can never spell that right. Help anyone?) of confirming Saúl a member of the church. It just so happened that our Mission President was there, AND I had totally spaced on the fact that I had been asked to give a talk that Sunday. Whew. What a day. I prepared my talk in the few minutes between when they announced it and when I stood up to give it. :P I think it turned out pretty okay. Hehe.
 
There's a saying here that bugs me, and people say it all the time. They say "Every 8 days" to mean weekly. Uh...I have some news for you Colombia. There are actually only 7 days in a week. If you want it to be every 8 days, you'll have to count one day twice every week. I know, that's a nerdy pet peeve, but it bugs me. Haha.
 
This week was my companion's birthday (I think it was his 25th, but he won't tell me for sure. :P) I made him crepes, using dad's missionary recipe (that makes enough for 2 elders.) It was cool. I didn't have the recipe written down, but what I made from memory seemed to turn out pretty good. :)
 
Everyone I talk to says that Bucaramanga is the best city in the mission. How blessed I am to be able to start out here. Then again, they say it's the best 1. because of the weather, and 2. because of the people, and how nice and friendly they are. Apparently in Bogota and other places, they're not as nice. Anyway, I'm grateful for the time I have here, and I'm gonna do my best to make the most of it while I'm here. :)
 
One more thing: I know I started the small plates and the large plates last week, but I'm just too disorganized and ADD for something like that. You'll just have to put up with my ADD-ness. :D Love y'all. Like, a lot. Thanks for all your prayers and love.
 
Keepin' on,
 
Elder Cannon (Like the camera brand? Yes. Like the camera brand, but with two n's)
 
P.S. I never would have made my fire proof pants! ...I'm still working out the kinks...



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment