It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Thursday, July 21, 2011

Correo electronico del Élder Cannon

Wow I can't believe it's Thursday again. This week just flew by. My travel plans say that I'll be leaving at 5 am on Tuesday, July 26th. I will arrive in Bogota, Colombia at 8:45 pm (Eastern Standard time) that same day. If all goes well, I'll be in Colombia in less than a week. Whew. Crazy. I've been doing my best to work super-duro (hard) this last bit. A few of the Elders in my district are getting trunky, which is no bueno. This is totally ADD, but I just realized...I used the phrase "doing my best" instead of "trying." I think that came from like forever ago in Eagle Mountain. I don't even remember how it started, but I decided that I wouldn't ever "try" to do something. I would only "do my best." As the wise Yoda once said, "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." Anyway...there's Elder Cannon's weekly quirk for y'all. :P

Which reminds me. The word of the week is "podía." It means "I used to could."

MTC life is still as great as ever. We're just livin' the good life. All you can eat meals, 3 times a day. Sometimes it even _tastes_ like food. The gym has been closed for the past little while, so I haven't had the chance to weigh myself, but I don't think I've gained anything. If I have, I'm not to worried about it sticking around with the miles and miles of walking I'll be doing every day. Then again, there will be the wonderful members that feed us lots of food. Hehe...I love when Elders make such naive comments about their missions. I just kind of laugh inside and think, "You really have no idea how it's going to be." I know it'd be cool if your mission president gave you all a machete at the beginning of your mission, so you can more easily tract through the Amazon Jungle...but I'm just not sure that's how it's gonna go.

This week was pretty average. I mean, it was amazing. I guess it was kind of...amazingly average. Oh! I just saw Jace Gregory this morning! He got here yesterday, and is going to Guatemala. So exciting. :) Also, I'm pretty sure Drew Gagon is here somewhere, but I haven't seen him yet. He's going to Zimbabwe! How sweetawesome is that? :) It's so good to have so many friends out serving missions. I think there are probably 10-15 people here from PHS, and a few that I know from BYU-Idaho.

This Sunday, Elder Dyches and I are singing "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" in Sacrament meeting. That one that you sent me, mom. I love it so much. The only thing is, I've never sung it. I've only played it. heh. Pero estoy muy animado. Nunca he cantado un solo o un duo en una reunión sacramental. It'll be interesting. I hope it goes well. The average branch here has about 30 to 40 members. Ours has more than 80. Hehe. It's about the size of my student ward at BYU-I. I'm not too worried though.

I don't have much to write this week. I feel lame. Next week I'll have more than I can handle...but this week...is just kinda lamesauce.

I'll tell you a story. Once upon a time, My companion and I got chosen to teach the newbs this Wednesday (yesterday). So, we went to the training meeting thing, and we did a bunch of practices and watched some videos, and then the guy was like, we actually only need 4 of you 8 companionships. I chose 4 at random that will be teaching. So it ended up that my companion and I didn't teach the newbs. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Honestly, I think all the training we did was super-helpful anyway. I'm glad I got to go.

Happy birthday, Kristopher and Todd! I'm not sure how old Todd is...but Kris is 22 now, right? Happy birthday to both of you! :) Hope it's a good one. Oh, and Kristopher, you totally owe me a ping pong tournament when I get home. I had two years to practice while you were in Indiana, so you'd better get practicing for when I get home. ;)

Well, if you couldn't tell already, my life is average. Still working, still studying, still having wonderful experiences. Ready to hit the ground running. Yesterday, my district got to host again, where we greet the new missionaries with smiling faces, help them with their luggage, and bring them to their room and to their class, help them not feel so lost or alone... :-/ It's kinda crazy that I was there only 8 weeks ago. It seems like I've grown and matured about 3 years worth. Mission life does stuff to you. It's all good stuff though.

I'm pretty much just rambling now, so...you can all go back to the normal, dreary things you normal people do. And I will get back to you. (Okay, now slam the door really hard. Heehee. No...they can still see you. Your elbow's still in...)

This morning I read Mormon 4-5 and Moroni 8. They're such amazing chapters. Some of my favorite verses are Mormon 5:8 that says "Know ye not that ye are in the hands of God?" It's true. I'm in God's hands. And so are all of you. He's our Heavely Father, and He cares personally for each and every one of us. Just like in 3rd Nephi when Christ blessed each and every one of the little children, He cares. "Mirad a vuestros Pequeñitos."

I love you all. I'm so glad to have such amazing family and friends. All of your support and prayers and everything else help more than you know. I couldn't be more grateful.

Still paddling the old knew,

-joey

P.S. Chuck Norris counted to infinity. Twice.

P.P.S. Is it a good sign that I can't think of any movie quotes? I was thinking about it the other day, and I really think I will be happy the day I can't remember a single one. That just means I'm changing and becoming an effective missionary, right? I hope so...



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


1 comment:

  1. Yay for the Ender's Game reference. I love my Joey brother.

    ReplyDelete