It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Whew. I'm alive.

Hey all!

I survived my first whle week in Colombia! Hehe. I'm loving it here, even though it' super different thn the Estados Unidos. I have had to get back in the habit of calling it that instead of America, becuase this is America too. Most people call me a gringo, but the more polite ones call me norteamericano. Then there's the other side of the scale that call me monito. Hmm. I don't take offense though. I feel just as gringo as they think I am. I am the whitest, blondest, blue-eyedest person within 1,000 miles. :P

The work is going ever onward. I've decided to start the small plates and the large plates of Elder Cannon. Because there's so much to say, and I think that'll help to organize it a little. The large plates will contain the reign of the kings and the wars and contentions of the people, and the small plates will contain my profesyings and spiritual teachings.

Large plates, entry 1:

This week was good. I didn't get bit by any dogs. There are probably about 6 times more dogs in this country than people, but they all come about half way up my shin, so they don't worry me too much. I'm thoroughly convinced that they feed their dogs and cats rice, because they're some of the skinniest, smallest little animals I've ever seen. It's pretty hot here. The first few days were cooler, with lots of rain, but then it warmed up to...I'm not sure how hot. I'm still getting used to this whole Celcius thing. :P The good thing is, there's no hot water, so I get to cool down in the shower every night and morning. If you ever have problems waking up, a cold shower works perfectly. Colombia played Colsta Rica last night, which made contacts hard. Everyone was watching the game. I think Colombia won...but I don't know. I do know that they scored at least 3 points. When Colombia makes a goal, you know about it, no matter where you are.

It rained a TON yesterday. My companion and I were bien mojado! Super wet. We stopped at a member's house to dry off for a bit, and the rain stopped pretty much right when we got there. Of course it did. I still havent had the chance to buy a paragua. I think I'll do that today. That'd be a good idea. Oh, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have an eternal sock-line. The only time I'm not wearing church socks is when I'm in the shower, or in bed. Hehe. My muscles are probably going to start growing in funny shapes because I always have socks on. :P

Here's some Colombianisms for you:
"¿QuĂ© te digo?" "What'd I tell you?" (Literaly, "What do I tell you?")
"¡Tranquilo!" "Chill!"
"Que pena" They use this for pretty much anything that happens that's semi-negative. It means something like "What a pity." But you here it an average of 47 times a day. :)


Small plates, entry 1:

This week we taught quite a few lessons. We work mainly with investigators and less active members. There are a good amount of investigators, and way too many less actives. Why do people have to go inactive? Sigh. But we work with them. The members should be going to church more than the investigators, not the other way around. But really anyone that comes to church is just my hero. Go to church this week, okay? And then go every Sunday until you're dead and maybe even later. ;)

I'm getting more used to teaching, and more used to contacting. My companion and I have kind of worked out a way that...works. Anyway. It's getting easier. I'm finding myself better able to communicate what I want. Sometimes the word that I want just doesn't come...and that's when I look over at Elder Rapalino and hope he knows what I'm trying to say. Heh. Last week we taught 21 lessons, which includes investigators with a member present and otherwise, as well as recent converts or less actives. I love this work! It's wonderful. :) I see the hand of the Lord in this work every day, and I see the blessings from the countless prayers that come from all of you. I could never thank you enough. :) I really wouldn't be anywhere without the support of all of my wonderful family and friends. Thanks for everything.


That's all for now, folks!

I'm gonna try to send some photos. I hope it works.

Love always,

Elder Cannon

P.S. Reason #2: Look what I can do. Haha. Ha!



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment