It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Monday, December 26, 2011

And a Happy New Year!

Hey y'all. It's me again. :)

Christmas was pretty much amazing. Basically because I got to talk to my wonderful family. :) That was pretty much the highlight of the...year. Haha. It was great to see you all again and see how things have changed or not changed. I only got like...15 weird looks in the internet cafe for speaking english super loud. It wasn't that loud, I guess...but I was the only one talking...so everyone could probably hear me. Oh well. I only get to talk to my family twice a year. :P 

Christmas here was very different. First of all, it was the first Christmas I had spent away from home, and also they do things a little differently here in South America. Ever since I got here, people would talk about the 24th of December, like that was the holiday. I was always confused, because Christmas is on the 25th, not the 24th. Everyone knows that. So, come to find out, Christmas is still on the 25th, but they do more on the 24th to celebrate. Starting at about 7 or 8 at night, people started putting out their speakers. Everyone in the country owns a set of 4 foot speakers, and they put on whatever kind of music floats their boat and they turn it up as loud as they possibly can. Then there's the fireworks. Roman candles in the hands of 4 year olds, explosions all over the place. Whew. What a party. Then of course...there's the alcohol. :P That doesn't really need explaining. 

Anyway. It was a party. Haha. I could hardly sleep...people were up until around 4 am partying. Fun stuff. Oh, I was going to explain, here in South America, people wait up until midnight on the 24th (technically the 25th) to open presents. So, that's probably why they talk more about the 24th than the 25th. The 25th, people were out working like it was a regular day. The sober ones, anyway. ...Yeah. :P

We had a pretty good crowd at church too. There were about 80 members that attended. That does count the ones that came 10, 15, 30 minutes late, but that's nothing new. Haha. ;) 

Anyway, I love you all. I really don't know what I would do without my wonderful family. Thank you for your prayers, your support, etc. It means a lot to me. Really. :)

Until next year, 

...whoa. It'll be 2012 when I talk to you y'all again. Weird.

Elder Cannon

P.S. Would someone please listen to BYU vocal point's Nearer my God to Thee for me? :) Thanks.

P.P.S. Not that this isn't fun, but...I'm gonna look around. 



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment