It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Thursday, June 2, 2011

P-Day!

Hola mi familia. :) This computer is a little funky, so we'll see how it goes.

My first week as a missionary is over. I can't believe how fast it's gone. Honestly though, it feels like I've been here a month. The food is...alright. It's just cafeteria food, so it's not amazing, but normally it's not bad. I had biscuits and gravy this morning, and it reminded me of mom and dad. Wasn't there some story about the Cannon center and...yeah, anyway. they're delish.

My companion is named Elder Farnbach. He's pretty cool. He knows a lot of random...sometimes nerdy stuff. hehe. He's a cool guy though. Elder. Cool Elder. We're not supposed to call each other "guys" here. Our district is pretty much amazing. We hear from everyone (our teachers, zone leaders, branch president) that we're really the most well-behaved district they've ever had. I think that's pretty cool. I love how much we get done, and how mature everyone is. We study a LOT here, and for the most part, it's all very productive. Last night, my companion and I were on fire planning our lesson for one of our "investigators." She's really our teacher, but we knocked on her door, and contacted her like she was a real investigator. It's a really neat idea, because she's been on a mission, so she's seen a lot of different investigators, and is really good at role-playing.

The language is coming. It's amazing how many people hear pray for, and receive the gift of tongues. It really is everywhere. "Don de lenguas" was one of the first things we all learned how to say when we got here. :) I thought that was pretty funny. It's a real thing though, and I've seen it in a lot of people, including myself.

They gave us scriptures, Predicad Mi Evangelio, a dictionary (which is actually the same edition I had when we went to Ecuador. How cool is that?), a bunch of language study materials, etc. I feel a little handicapped using spanish scriptures though. Not only becauase of the language, but because I haven't marked anything in them, so I don't know where anything is. I'll have to work hard on marking them up before I get out into the field. 8 more weeks! And I thought I'd be done counting down after May 25th. It's kind of funny actually. Someone asked me when I was leaving for Colombia, and I almost told them May 25th. I guess it's just the date I'm used to telling people. Speaking of which, They're not going to fast track me. I'm here until July 26th, I believe. And I am going to love every minute of it! I don't think I've gained any weight yet. I really hope I can keep it that way. The food here comes in pretty large portions. If anything, I think it's the portion sizes that are going to kill me. We'll see...

There was this one time, when the crowd was calling my name, and I used my strength to rip my blouse.

There is a painting here of Robert Downing Jr. baptizing Liam Neeson (is that how you spell that?) It's really a painting of Christ's baptism...but it really does look like them. Haha. I hope that's not sacreligious. Our zone leaders showed it to us, so we'll just blame them, yes? ;)

Well, I'd better get going. I love you all, and hope to hear from you all soon. :)

-Elder Cannon

(P.S. mail is really the most exciting thing around here, unless you count ice cream Wednesdays. So...write me! hehe...please? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment