It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Thursday, June 23, 2011

"Message for you sir!"

Dear family and friends,

I can't believe it's been another week. Tomorrow will be my half-way point! I've probably started every email like this, huh? "I can't believe it's been ___ weeks already!" Well, it's always true. Time never does stand still here.

The work moves ever onward. I've taught the first few lessons in Spanish, and it's getting a lot easier. Our class does this "Progressive Investigator" thing where each of our three teachers poses as an investigator, and each companionship has the opportunity to teach them a couple/few times a week. It's a really neat learning experience. Instead of butchering the gospel and the language to real people, we get to practice on our teachers, who won't decline the gospel or hate us forever when we mess up. :P Anyway, it's great practice. I thought I knew the gospel, but having my own testimony is a lot different than trying to lead others to gain a testimony for themselves. It's kind of like, I know the principles, but being able to explain them in simple terms is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

It's definitely getting easier the more I teach though. I'm really glad I get to be here for the full 9 weeks (8 weeks and change, technically). Although I can't wait to get out to the field. :) I'm determined to make these next two years the best of my life.

So...in case y'all are wondering, MTC life goes a little bit like this:

6:30 Wake up and shower
7:00 Personal Study time
7:40 Breakfast
8:10 More personal study
9:15 Class
12:15 lunch
1:00 More Class
4:00 Language Study
5:15 Dinner
6:20 Gym
7:45 TALL (Technology Assisted Language Learning...I think)
9:00 Plan for tomorrow
10:15 Quiet time
10:30 Lights out

Our Gym period changes from right after dinner to right after breakfast or lunch. It never made sense to me, having gym right after a meal. It's like they're allowing us the daily opportunity to feel even fatter than we know we are. ;) It's all good though. I have yet to find the self-control to just not eat the meal right before gym, but that's a lot easier said than done. Especially when I have to accompany my companion to the cafeteria anyway, and then there's all this food there, and just a little won't really hurt, and then there's a full course meal on my plate, and I go to gym wondering why I ate so much.

The food here isn't bad, but it's not all that good either. I was hoping with all the mission presidents here, that the food would get better, but instead they just divided the cafeteria off so that they're all eating wonderful, delicious things, and we get chicken patties on a bun.

I haven't gained any weight yet...at least that's what I keep telling myself. I really should be around 167, or...I would like to be around there, but the last time I weighed myself (after gym right after dinner) I was 174. So either I really am just eating a lot, and weighed more than I usually do, or I've gained a few pounds. I'm not giving up hope though. I'll win this battle yet. ;)

So, also with the mission presidents seminar here, there are quite a few general authorities. They've blocked off about 90% of the main building so we're not walking through, but I did see Elder Holland and Elder Anderson down a hall. :) Hehe. I thought it was pretty cool. I'm so glad we have living prophets in our days. They're all my heroes. We have a "special devotional" this Friday, and I'm hoping one of them comes to speak to us then. Apparently June is the month that all the Apostles take a break to be with their families, so we haven't had any Apostles come speak to us yet. They usually have one come every 2 or 3 weeks. Anyway, I'm pretty excited.

Well, my time is about up. I want you all to know that I know that this church is true. I didn't gain that testimony all at once. It was more of a life-long proccess. But I can say without a doubt, that this church is true. I am so blessed to have this opportunity to go out into the world to share that testimony with others.

Onward, ever onward.

I love you all,

-Joey

P.S. Frying pans! Who knew, right?? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment