It's not so much "whatever that means." It's whoever...

"Dear Elder Cannon: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Bogota North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months...You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language... "


Monday, January 30, 2012

Hi there.

It's me again.

I don't really know what to write. This week was pretty average. We're not as lost as we were, but we're not all that found either. I'm cold, but only my left hand. Not sure why. Oh, and my toes. Probably because they're the farthest aways from my heart, so the blood usn't as warm when it gets down there. This week and the last, we got to know Carol. She's 19 and is studying medicine here in Tunja. I don't know about y'all, but I don't think I'm ever going to study medicine...ever. It's a truckload of reading, and just...idk. I guess it just doesn't really call my attention. Anyway, Carol was baptized this Friday, and confirmed yesterday. My companion, Elder Ochoa baptized her, and I'm trying to think of something to say besides "it was a really neat experience." I think I say that a lot. Anyway, the baptism was great. :) I always love seeing someone get baptized. It just gives me this wonderful feeling. A feeling I don't get anywhere else. A feeling of happiness. Like, I want to say a prayer of gratitude, and at the same time I want to jump out of my chair and shout hallelujah! We (the 4 missionaries of the Tunja ward) sang the musical number. "Abide With Me." We sang it a capella (spelling?). I would have played the piano, but I wanted to sing. So I did. The wonderful thing about Carol is that she already has a strong testimony of the church. She shared with us about how she gained that testimony reading the Book of Mormon. That's one thing I love about this gospel. That it's TRUE. When Moroni wrote in Moroni 10:3-5 that if we read and pray, God will answer our prayer, it wasn't just a personal opinion. It's real. God does answer prayers. We just need to have a sincere heart, real intent, and faith, believing that He will answer us. And then He will answer us. It's a promise that Heavenly Father has given to us. To everyone. My faith has really grown about the fact that God fulfills the promises that He makes. "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." It's true. When we obey a commandment, Heavenly Father will bless us. He's perfect, and He can't lie. So when He says we'll receive a certain blessing from obeying a certain comandment, it's 100% true. As missionaries, we invite people to obey certain commandments, and as a part of that invitation, we promise them blessings. At first, it was hard for me to promise them blessings, because I wasn't 100% sure that Heavenly Father would keep His end of the bargain. But after seeing investigators experience the blessings I promised them, my faith grew immensly. Now I can promise the investigators and the members blessings, not doubting one bit that Heavenly Father will bless them according to their obedience. 

This work is incredible. The field is white already to harvest. The only thing we have to do is thrust in our sickle with our might. That's really the only thing I've seen lacking here on the mission. We, as missionaries, just need to get to work! That's all we need to do. The 3 keys to missionary work are 1. Work, 2. Work, and 3. Work. That's all there is to it. The missionaries a lot of the time lack commitment, they lack the desire to be obedient...they lack the ganas de trabajar! There are some amazingly wonderful missionaries here, that have a good knowledge of the gospel, that just don't work. Seeing that made me want to make a goal to never put my sickle down. To always, always be thrusting in my sickle with my might. So that's my goal. I think I need to make it more specific and measurable, so I'll get back to you on that. But I'll be working on it for sure.

This work is wonderful. I think I'm going to call it quits, because my hands are starting to slow down...it's cold! I'm sure it's not nearly as cold as it is in Utah, but they don't have heaters here. And the houses are all made of cement. With no insulation. Yep.

Today I read Alma 29. Sometimes I feel like Alma, and just want to preach the Gospel with the sound of a trump to everyone in the world! And sometimes I wish I were an angel, because I'd be able to fly around and not have to walk or take a bus. Hehe. ;) Really though, Alma was such an amazing missionary. I admire his wish, as well as his humility. He says how he's sinning by wishing he could preach the gospel to every creature. He says he should be content with the things that he has. So that's the challenge. Read Alma 29, and then go and make the most of what you've got. :)

I love you all. Any questions, don't hesitate to write me. Even if you don't have questions, don't hesitate to write me. 

Take luck. :)

-Elder Cannon

P.S. There's only one thing that I know how to do well, and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to well, and that's be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark.....



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment